Friday, July 17

More From Mr. Muller...

Wow, okay... so this guns and pickup trucks thing goes a little deeper than I originally thought. Take a look at the comments Mr. Muller made this morning while talking with CNN's Carol Costello on American Morning:

"COSTELLO: Well, but police officers are shot in the line of duty all the time, and they carry guns every day, so maybe some might not think that is a great argument.

MUELLER: Well, I'd personally like to have a sporting chance instead of just becoming a victim. I guarantee you those guys that broke through that door that used guns to kill those people did not have legal guns and did not go through the proper steps to get them. Those are all illegal guns, and I would bet my bottom dollar on it. I haven't seen the facts, but, look, there is a bunch of evil in the world and people need to protect themselves. We're real firm believers. We're country folks down here. We live down here, and we're real firm believers in the Second Amendment, and we don't want to become victims. I live out in the country, 15 miles from the dealership here on 1,200 acres, the response time to my home is about 15 minutes. And if I'm counting on the police, we have a great police force in Bates County, great sheriff, great police in Butler where we live. Response time is still 15 minutes no matter how great the people are and how great their intentions are. And I would rather defend myself. The only 911 call I need is chambering a round, and I think that's the case with most people down here.

COSTELLO: You know what, I grew up in rural America, too. We had guns in our home, but they weren't AK-47s. I mean, but...

MUELLER: How long ago was that?

COSTELLO: When I was a teenager, 20 years ago, 30 years ago.


MUELLER: Things have changed dramatically. I don't know if you know anything about Missouri, where I live. In this county, there is a tremendous crime problem with people doing meth, and these people, they've lost their souls. They don't care about you, they don't care about me. They care about one thing, getting more dope."

Umm... okay, so let me get this straight. You need an AK-47 to protect yourself in Bates county because crime is very high. If we follow this line of logic, then we should probably provide armored cars with mounted rifles to the folks in East Saint Louis, don't you think? Wow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Obviously you do not believe that law abiding citizens should be able to protect themselves is that correct?.
For you info a AK47 is no different than any other semi automatic weapon sold in the USA it is illegal to own one that fires fully automatic so only the criminials and law officials have them.
Response time to his home he stated was 15 minutes minimum--do you have any idea how long it takes to kill someone??
Is Meth crime a rampant problem in Bates County? Yes or No?
Obviously you have a problem with the 2nd ammendment rights granted by our constitution-would you like to repeal that ammendment?
Since It is legal to own a firearm what right do you have to criticize an individual for doing so for whatever reason he has for owning one??

GCook said...

You have several misconceptions so let's get started:

1) I do believe people have the right to protect themselves.

2) I would assume that meth is a problem in Bates county, but no bigger than it is in many other counties across this state. Mr. Muller makes it seem as if Bates county is the meth capital of America. In fact, several other rural counties rank far above Bates county in the latest crime statistics. Bates county had only 86 home invasions last year compared to similarly rural Barry county which had 201.

3) Hell no, I don't want to repeal the 2nd amendment. I understand the philosophy that criminals don't abide by the laws therefore we should be able to protect ourselves. But it all comes down to the answer to number four.

4) I have a right to criticize Anonymous because that same Constitution that you cite in your reply also gives us the freedom of speech. The giveaway by the Max Motor company is nothing more than grandstanding. In fact, Mr. Muller even admitted as much on CNN. The company is trying to create press by coming up with this outlandish sales pitch. And this decision crosses the line. An AK47 isn't necessary to protect your home. Other less violent firearms will work just fine.

5) So finally, don't put words in my mouth and assume things that aren't true.